Monday, March 12, 2012

A Long Time Coming


We cannot always see evidence of the slow work of God in our lives and yet; He works.  Sometimes a seed as small as a germ takes a measure of our lives to be planted, die, change and take root.  The taking root bit seems to be the hardest because it's the time when all the evidence is below the surface.  

    Above all, trust in the slow work of God

    Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
    We are quite naturally impatient in everything
         to reach the end without delay.
    We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
    We are impatient of being on the way
         to something unknown,
             something new.
    Yet it is the law of all progress that is made
         by passing through some stages of instability
             and that may take a very long time.
    And so I think it is with you.
    Your ideas mature gradually. Let them grow.
    Let them shape themselves without undue haste.
    Do not try to force them on
         as though you could be today what time
             -- that is to say, grace --
         and circumstances
            acting on your own good will
         will make you tomorrow.
    Only God could say what this new Spirit
         gradually forming in you will be.
    Give our Lord the benefit of believing
         that his hand is leading you,
         and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
             in suspense and incomplete.
    Above all, trust in the slow work of God,
         our loving vine-dresser.
    Amen.

      Pierre Teilhard de Chardin



I am eager to share what has been germinating in my own life, now about to take formation.  I ask for your prayers as I embark on a new project with Phil. We will be heading west in a few weeks to record a single entitled "Shelter & Strength".  My heart is bursting with anticipation to share this song with you, I hope that you will join us on this journey.

My prayer for you today is that you will be reminded that He’s not forgotten you; He's on your side.
May you find great courage in the knowledge of His unfailing love and faithful work in you.



Isaiah 35:1-4
The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom.  Like the crocus, it will be burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy....Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.” Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped.  Then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy.  Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/12/2012

    I am so excited about this projet, cannot wait to hear it! You know that I have always looked up to you and have been inspired by your love for God that is evident in the way you sing! I know that you and your husband will reach so many hearts with your songs. Thank you for sharing this poem, means a lot to me as I am just seeing around the corner after a long walk through a growing period with God, but yes, His timing alone is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited for this new adventure. I hear you about the slow steady work of God, it's hard at times, but the best place to be. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This letter/poem/prayer by de Chardin is timely and exactly what I needed to read today. ...."accept the anxiety of feeling yourself in suspense and incomplete..." has felt like my life state of being for so long now that I almost forgot what it feels like to NOT be there. But God is ever stable even in the limbo--all the "in between" seasons where we sometimes have to camp out longer than we like.
    Congrats on the new dreams and visions and endeavors....I'll be praying for you guys!
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna Warren3/12/2012

    We don't hear about this much, but we know God is a provider, sustainer and completer of His business. Love you! Rejoicing with you and Phil and praying for what lies ahead - keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol Winkles3/12/2012

    I am so excited for you and this new journey. God's timing is always perfect. I will be praying for you guys!! You guys bless my soul. Thank you! Love, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thankful for your encouraging words.
    Isn't it so good to know we're not alone? It's a journey of faith, and that doesn't ever change ;)
    Can't wait to bring you updates!

    ReplyDelete