Eyes to see
At the start of this luxe month of October, I had, what I will recall for all of my days as a week. My children are blessed with health but on occasion do seem to contract whatever is being passed around. Soleil had been complaining about a sore throat for a bit, a call from the school nurse regarding nauseousness, and a fever later we were at the doctor for a strep test. The rapid strep test came back normal so the Doc attributed it to a sinus infection - this, was Monday. On Wednesday, Soleil broke her writing arm on the beloved monkey bars. Thursday; Shiloh was scheduled for a triple immunization which left her incapacitated for the next 36 hours - (led-legs as they say). Friday was the day we were scheduled to get the cast put on Soleil’s broken arm, this same day Spencer woke up with fever, chills and barf in his bed. Poor tot was unable to speak above a whisper or even stand. I spent the better part of the morning just holding him and trying to coax him into having “...a little more juice”.
Considering all that was going on inside the house, we were graced with a beautiful Indian Summer kinda day; a beautiful fresh fall day outside and yet the sun was beaming down hard on our little corner of Georgia. Spencer caught a glimpse of this lovely display of color and wind and asked if we could go outside. We stepped out; the fresh air and warm sunshine felt good to both of us - I could tell. We sat out there in the one and only broken down chair that sits on our back porch and just enjoyed the full of the day. Suddenly as the wind moved through the trees, Spencer turned to me and said “the trees are clapping”...at first I thought I hadn’t heard him correctly. Then he said it again, “Mama, the trees are clapping!”. What seemed to me like a lovely breeze through the trees was the “trees of the field clapping their hands” Isaiah 55:12. I was overwhelmed at the thought of Spencer recognizing the resound of creation.
It would be easier to discredit the work that God is doing in our hearts. Sometimes it’s the gentlest wave of mercy and so it takes a child’s eyes to see His gracious ways.
Often times, I find myself unable to hear from God or recognize Him in the midst of my chaos. I can easily become captivated by how I want to see Him move instead of recognizing that He is everywhere and is constantly revealing Himself to us.
My heart is hard and callous, but a little softening occurred in those precious moments I shared with my son.
God is everywhere, moving in ways we don’t expect. His creativity is boundless;
open your eyes. No, you’re not imagining things - God is speaking to you right now.
I want to live my life full of the Spirit of God working in my life, and be aware of it. Maybe not all of it (that seems daunting), but I do want to recognize Him in my midst; I suppose I should stop and let that happen.
I love this. Perfectly said.
ReplyDeleteI hope everyone is feeling better now!!