Image by andrijbulba via FlickrWaiting on Arrival
A journey is not a decision to go somewhere, nor is it the arrival of a particular destination -- a journey is the every day walking; the one foot in front of the other and the gentle circumstances surrounding each step.
I am on a journey.
Sometimes life just seems like one giant rehearsal. I have spent a huge chunk of my life in rehearsals; the majority of those rehearsals involving music. At times, there wasn’t much music happening per se, just a lot of unusual vocal warm ups, some strategizing and listening. Looking back, I am thankful for all the seemingly tedious hours.
Why is it that we find more significance in the mundane once we’ve reached a particular destination?
Today we are on the journey that God has set for us. Today may seem like any other, but there is much going on here - God is doing unseen work in our hearts. As God’s children, it’s up to us to recognize that He is present in our midst, even in what may seem ordinary and those of us who play the part of artists must convey this Holy presence to the world.
Think of a runner on a path through the woods. As he takes each step through the lively forest, he may feel the sun beam on him as he escapes the shade from the canopy of trees. He may even recognize the beauty that surrounds him on his journey, but does the runner understand that the entire time he is placing one foot in front of the other there are leaves sprouting, ants working, birds building and singing. (adapted from Perfect Presence by Gregory A. Boyd )
Philippians 1:6 has become one of my favorite scriptures; a reminder that there are still leaves sprouting. When I become so focused on either the mysterious future, or regrettable past I forget that even in this very moment, Christ is working on the inside of me.
“being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus”
I had a funny experience with our oldest when she was 3 years old. We were flying from Toronto to Georgia. We were settled to make the journey; we had our coloring books, snacks and emergency videos organized. The plane had taken off the runway and had been flying at quite some altitude before Soleil leaned over to me and said, “Mommy, why aren’t we moving?”
What Soleil had seen out her little window was an endless stretch of white fluffy clouds, nothing to mark where she had come from or where she was headed. I laughed to myself because I knew if she realized the speed at which we were flying her perspective would be so different. It reminded me of the way I feel when God takes me on a journey. Sometimes progress is slow, other times it seems like no progress at all.
I’m so thankful that God sees out my tiny airplane window as well as above and beyond the confines of this life. God sees where I started out, and where I’m about to land. At times, I wonder why change is invisible to children. But I wonder, looking back, if it’s because God is carrying me over some deep waters or perhaps over a steep mountain.
Distracted by “the “what’s next” instead of having faith that there is important work going on “right now”.
Let your heart take note of what God is doing right now, He is completing a good work in you today and I pray that you will recognize it amidst your journey.

Marisa, this is so true! It's hard for us to see what God is doing in us until we look back and realized where we've come from.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to thank you for encouraging me to update my blog the other day. I finally did :-)Can't wait to see what you write next!